Sunday 4 July 2010

What a mix


I was in Dubai Mall this morning, not shopping properly just on an errand to collect something, and decided to treat myself to a nice café latte and a fruit scone. I think I’m feeling a teensy bit homesick at the moment and had a craving for something from home. My Great Aunt Bridget used to make the most delicious scones and so when I saw fruit scones inside Costa Coffee I popped inside.

After ordering I plonked myself down and began reading my newly purchased book “How Fiction Works” by James Woods. So far, I’ve only read a few pages but I’ll update you it’s worthiness in due course. Anyway, as I was sitting there I began people watching and really noticed the mix of people and cultures passing by.

There was me, Scottish, on a trip to buy something for my boyfriend, Egyptian, (and we use the boyfriend term loosely lol). Sitting in an English originating café, which was founded by two Italian brothers. I was eating my English scone and reading a book by a famous American writer.

In front of me was an Iranian family, where the father seemed to be having a bit of a hard time dealing with his teenage daughter’s shyness. At another table sat an Australian man, I know he was Australian as I heard him order his coffee in a very ‘home and away’ style accent. A Japanese lady was sipping her cappuccino on the couch opposite. A few minutes later a young Emirati man wearing his Kandoora breezed in surrounded by three Emirati girls clothed in beautifully embroidered shaillas and abayas. An Indian gentleman was sitting reading a daily newspaper and the Filipino waitress was pleasantly serving everyone their orders. As the adhan (Islamic call to prayer) sounded, a Chinese family sauntered by the café followed by a harassed looking mum of two from Lebanon.

Sure makes for interesting people watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment