Sunday 4 July 2010


Grrrrrr!

I love living in Dubai. Really I do. But one of THE MOST annoying things about living here has got to be the magazines!

Let me explain. At home, I would religiously buy my monthly copy of Cosmo and more than likely Marie-Claire, Company, Grazia and a few other titles. However, since I moved here this has become a less frequent activity.

Firstly, this is because non-local magazines are ridiculously overpriced. Okay, I understand that they need to be imported so of course the cost will go up. But the cover price of Cosmo in the UK is $3.50(pounds). Here it can sell for anything up to Dhs72 depending where you buy it from – that works out around $12(pounds)!!!

But occasionally, when I feel like a girly night in I do splurge out and treat myself to Cosmo. That’s what happened yesterday and I arrived home ready for a night in, a bubble bath, some chocolate and a good old read.

Cue reason number two that magazines in this country are highly irksome. “5 Best Positions Ever” screams the second biggest headline on the cover. Interesting thinks me….lets have a look. But alas, pages 62 to 70 are missing. Yep, they have been torn out completely. Damn.

Okay- a female empowerment article next, Sexy Has No Size Limit, showing women of various shapes and sizes feeling sexy about themselves. I could do with a confidence boost thinks me so flip to page 87. And there is the article, well the first page of it. With a woman reclining on a couch with a hint of cleavage which has been very roughly coloured over with in thick, black, marker pen. The rest of the article….torn out! Aghhhhhh!

And don’t even get me started on Cosmo’s naked centerfold!

So there we have it, probably the thing that annoy’s me most about Dubai – the magazines!

No comments:

Post a Comment