Tuesday 13 September 2011

This afternoon I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Alia Al-Shamsi, an inspirational woman from the region who has been battling breast cancer for the last four years. 
Coming quietly into the coffee shop Alia was dressed in the traditional shaila and abaya and came rushing over to meet me.
'Sorry to keep you waiting' she said apologetically, 'prayer time'.
Joining me at the table and ordering a cappuccino 'but not one of those kids chocolatey ones' she settles down to tell me her story.

Having moved to the UAE from Germany 25 years ago, she married her Emirati husband and had three beautiful children. Here she had lived happily until 2007 when she was hit with the bomb that she had developed breast cancer. There was no family history of the disease and so it came as quite a shock to Alia who had never really been ill before. We spoke about her journey from diagnosis through her operation to radiation therapy and the struggles that she faced fighting the disease in the U.A.E. For a country famous for building amazing sight and record breaking buildings there was a lot lacking when it came to facilities for cancer treatment and there still is today! 

Two hours, and a fascinating chat later, I came away with countless ideas for my article as well as an overwhelming sense of awe for this fascinating and courageous woman.

Next month is breast cancer awareness month and Alia's interview has inspired me to do all that I can to help raise awareness of this honorific disease that knows no boundaries.

1 comment: