Tuesday 12 July 2011

Europe

Last Tuesday, I hopped in a cab and set off in the direction of Glasgow Airport with a carefully measure 20kg suitcase accompanying me.
First stop was the lovely Balearic Island of Mallorca. I've been here many years ago but my memories of the place were more than hazy. My parents and sister were spending a few weeks out here in the sun and so I decided to join them for a few days of sun, sea and maybe even a glass of sangria!
Palma city was bustling and the sun was shining brightly as I made my way to the main bus station to catch my ride to the coastal town of Cala D'Or on the South East of the island. A handsome looking Spanish man greeted me with "Ah Bravissimo" as I stepped off the bus which I like to think was a compliment rather than a random reference to an underwear brand! Just over an hour later I arrived at my parents apartment. The next few days were spent sunbathing, eating, swimming, drinking and generally taking some time out to relax. I have to say it was lovely, even though it was the first holiday I'd been on with my parents since I was 15!

Friday morning I headed back to Palma bright and early to catch a flight to Cologne in Germany. After a quick pretzel and hop-based beverage I was on my second flight bound for Vienna. Austria isn't a country I ever imagined myself visiting but when my best friend upped sticks for there last month it quickly jumped to the top of my travel list. I wasn't quite sure what to expect-classical music being piped into the streets while people flounced by in black and white clothes was one image I had in my head! It is, however, a beautiful city. Full of historical buildings, ornately decorated and brimming with character. We went to a beach bar by the River Danube, ate lunch in a local market, took in some ballet and opera performances and visited the oldest zoo in Europe. We even managed to find a spot serving shisha, accompanied by salsa dancing! Throw my best friends into the mix and I was a truly happy lady.
All good things must come to an end though so on Sunday evening I boarded a train in the direction of Hungary.

Alighting at Budapest myself and my friend had a challenging time ahead of us trying to find out lodgings for the evening thanks to the very uninformative instructions on the website. After an hour wandering the streets and a few 'hairy' moments we eventually tracked it down, smack bang in the middle of what appeared to be Budapest's red light district! A few days of sightseeing, castles, markets, pubs, Roman baths, bridges, restaurants and shops followed and that is where the story ends, for now.

Tomorrow, a seven hour train journey awaits as we set off again. This time the destination is Belgrade, Serbia and I'll be sure to update you on what we find there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment